Image credit: petrovhey on Pixabay CC0 / Public Domain
According to Hildegard of Bingen, there are six golden rules of life. She writes about it in her book ‘Physica’. In this book she writes about the healing powers of plants as well. She recommends using the ancient grain spelt whenever you can. So today, we’re making pizza with spelt flour! You will notice that spelt is very filling and has a distinct ‘nutty’ flavour. It has become one of my favourite flours.
St. Hildegard’s Golden Rules of Life
- You need to eat well. Eating the right food and drinking the right fluids will make you feel wholesome.
- To remain healthy and restore your energy, use natural medicine whenever possible.
- Sleep well and get enough exercise. You can restore your health through both sleeping and waking.
- Live a balanced life with a good balance between work en recreation. This reflects the Benedictine ‘Ora et labora’.
- Do cleanses by fasting, blood-letting, cupping, taking baths and sauna.
- Do generous en loving deeds which will create spiritual joy, vitality and friendship.
A delicious pizza crust made of spelt flour!
Recipe for the crust:
- 125 ml (4.25 oz) lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 250g flour (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon of instant dry yeast
I put everything in the bread maker, using the ‘dough’ menu. After it’s finished I let it rest for 30 minutes. Then I divide it in three smaller portions and roll out a pizza on a surface covered with a bit flour. I bake the pizzas at 450F (225C) for about 20 minutes on a baking sheet.